Full time faculty position astrophysics at the department of physics of the Vrije Universiteit Brussels
Prof. J. D'Hondt, Head of the Dept. of Physics, or Prof. D. Vanbeveren
Dept. of Physics
Astronomy and Astrophysics Research Group
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
The Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) in Belgium has an opening for a full time faculty position at the department of physics. The position is aimed at an excellent candidate to take a leading role in the coordination and further development of the research in the astrophysics group. The successful candidate is expected to initiate new projects and acquire the necessary research funding. In addition to this, the ability to teach physics and astrophysics courses at all university levels is required.
Currently the astrophysical research at the VUB revolves around themes related to stellar evolution, binary systems, galaxy kinematics and radio galaxies.
Applications from outstanding candidates working in astrophysics will be considered. Priority will be given to outstanding candidates who have the potential to extend our research in the direction of High-Energy Astrophysics to not only complement the current efforts, but also to strengthen the synergy with our activities in experimental astroparticle physics and explore opportunities for new joint research projects.
The astroparticle physics programme is one of the VUB research lines within the “High-Energy Physics” Strategic Research Programme. Currently it consists of research related to Dark Matter searches as well as studies of Gammy Ray Bursts and Active Galactic Nuclei with the IceCube neutrino observatory at the South Pole.
* Academic qualification: PhD degree.
* The candidate is expected to endorse the educational vision of the university (full text available on the university website).
* Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply
* Every first appointment is dependent upon the successful performance of a teaching session.
* Near-native proficiency of English is required. The Vrije Universiteit Brussel provides courses in academic English.
* The administrative and educational language at Vrije Universiteit Brussel is Dutch. If, at your appointment, you do not speak Dutch at all or do not speak it well, we will provide a training offer that must equip you to be able to teach in Dutch within three years. If your teaching assignment is completely in English, then it is expected that you have mastered the Dutch language to a level that will allow you to participate in the administrative meetings.
As an employee of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel your days will be spent in a dynamic, diverse and multilingual environment. Both our campuses are set within green oases on the outskirts of the center of the capital of Flanders, Belgium and Europe. This center, with all its opportunities, is within your reach by public transport in under half an hour.
Depending on your experience and academic merits you will receive a salary on one of the pay scales laid down by the government. Hospitalization cover and free use of public transport for travel to and from work are standard conditions of employment. If you would rather cycle to work, compensation is also available for that. Both campuses have extensive sporting facilities which are at your disposal and a nursery is within walking distance.
Recruitment in one of the academic ranks of Senior Academic Staff (senior faculty).
Recruitment in the rank of lecturer is a tenure track appointment which implies an initial appointment as lecturer for a period of 5 years with eligibility for tenure in the rank of senior lecturer by the end of this initial period.
Recruitment in other academic ranks is an initial appointment for 3 years with eligibility for tenure in the same rank by the end of this initial period.
More information is available at www.vub.ac.be under the heading ‘future employees’.
* Planned starting date: 01/09/2014
* Length of contract: Recruitment in the rank of lecturer is a tenure track appointment which implies an initial appointment as lecturer for a period of 5 years with eligibility for tenure in the rank of senior lecturer by the end of this initial period.
* Recruitment in other academic ranks is an initial appointment for 3 years with eligibility for tenure in the same rank by the end of this initial period.
* Deadline for application: 16/04/2014
For more information and how to apply: http://vub.talentfinder.be/en/vacature/10857/we-2014-001--senior-academic-staff--100--physics-astrophysics/