Call for interest in organizing the next massive star meeting
After the first call of interest closed, only Puerto Rico applied to host our next massive star conference. However, aftermath of the terrible hurricanes Irma and Maria, the organizers decided to withdraw the proposal due to the current state of infrastructure that might not recover in time for the meeting in 2020. (If you are interested in knowing how to help Puerto Rico, contact Saida Caballero Nieves directly at scaballero-at-fit-dot-edu).
Consequently, the Organizing Committee (OC) of the Massive Star Commission reopens the call and invites again any interested individuals/institutions to send an email before January 15, 2018 expressing an interest in organizing the next meeting. IAU has the final authority to select a symposium, but the Massive Star Commission OC will support one application based on a number of criteria. Once selected, the OC will assist the meeting organizer in the whole application to IAU process, including preparation and submission, SOC selection, etc. Letters of interest to the IAU shall be sent before September 15, 2018. Our criteria for selection include:
- the meeting location (traditionally, our group prefers locations near a beach with a relaxed atmosphere that encourages personal contacts)
- the availability of hotels with large conference rooms (at least 200 people) and meeting facilities at affordable prices
- good international connections to reach the meeting place
- the support of a local astronomical community
- the balance of locations hosting all our previous meetings
- the respect to IAU regulations, including the possibility for every interested scientist to attend the meeting irrespective of its country, religion or other personal considerations and attention to equity rules.
If possible, interested emails to the OC should contain the following information:
- A list of local volunteers willing to help organizing the meeting
- A list of hotels that can guarantee accommodation of at least 200 participants, and with appropriate conference facilities
- Approximate hotel room prices
- Approximate distance from the nearest airport to the meeting venue/hotel
- Alternative sponsors or ways to support the meeting
- The best dates for the meeting, and/or black out dates
(because of school holidays or high touristic season, etc.)
- Add any other information you consider will be useful to OC.
The email should be sent directly to the President of the Commission, Artemio Herrero (ahd-at-iac.es).
The massive stars meeting is one of the central pillars of
our community and therefore the OC thanks in advance anyone interested in organizing this important meeting.
with best regards,
on behalf of the Organizing Committee of the G2 Commission