Spectroscopic Instrumentation – Fundamentals and Guidelines for Astronomers
Thomas Eversberg & Klaus Vollmann
Schnörringen Telescope Science Institute
The university textbook has 653 pages and contains
- all spectrograph fundamentals and mathematical basics (standard and echelle) necessary for instrumental designers, student and scientist,
- fundamental considerations on refractive and reflective optics
- practical examples (some well-known achievements from the amateur domain are included),
- periphery instrumentation (e.g., CCD, fibers, image slicers),
- theoretical and practical aspects of data reduction and consideration of errors,
- example massive star physics and
- prospects in spectropolarimetry.
The book delivers all necessary tools for a complete and detailed spectrograph design. In other words, all relevant calculations are performed in detail – you will not find the frustrating but common phrase “as one can easily see”.
Reference: Springer Praxis Books - Astronomy and Planetary Sciences